Alternative Dispute Resolution Experience
John has participated as a neutral or advocate in over 100 commercial arbitrations and mediations in the US and abroad. He has served as a chair, sole arbitrator, wingman and mediator in complex intellectual property and commercial cases.
· Listed on rosters of American Arbitration Association, CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR), FINRA, International Trade Commission, World Intellectual Property Organization, Commercial Division, New York Supreme Court.
· Chair of ADR Committee of American Intellectual Property Law Association (2012-2015)
· Member, The Sedona Conference, Working Group 10 – Patent Litigation Best Practices, Patent Mediation Team.
· Member, CPR Task Force on Patent Mediation (Chair, Subcommittee on Unique Patent Issues).
· Panel Chair of the New York Lawyer Disciplinary Committee for five years. Presided over 20 contested disciplinary proceedings. Founded the Complaint Mediation Panel to resolve lawyer-client grievances in New York.
REPRESENTATIVE ADR MATTERS
John's ADR cases have included: computer software disputes; pharmaceutical licensing maters, disputes involving biotechnology companies, litigation concerning consumer products, disputes concerning drug development contracts and associated FDA issues, commercial and residential real estate, print and billboard advertising, small business disputes, intra-family disputes, trusts and estates issues, fashion, jewelry, film and entertainment, employment, legal fee disputes, and automotive repair services.
· Mediator in dispute concerning computer software patents
· Mediator in biotech dispute concerning license for Hepatitis C drug
· Mediator in false advertising dispute concerning artificial sweeteners
· Mediator in dispute concerning automotive repair services
· Arbitrator in dispute concerning patent royalties on arthritis drug
· Panel Chair in Arbitration concerning patent royalties on erythropoietin drug
· Arbitrator in dispute concerning patents on magnetic sunglasses
· Pentium Fund Ltd. v. Intel Corporation (Advocate in mediation concerning Lanham Act and false advertising issues)
· New York University v. E.piphany, Inc. and SSA Global (Advocate in mediation concerning customer relations management software)
· Cooper Cameron v. Kvaerner Oilfield Products (Advocate in Mediation concerning off-shore drilling equipment)
· Nellson Nutraceuticals v. Elan Nutrition, Inc. (Advocate in Mediation concerning high-protein nutrition bars)
· Mediation of a dispute concerning a drug development deal relating to a generic topical treatment for skin conditions and the transfer of the related ANDA applications.
· Mediation of a dispute concerning the leasing of space for commercial billboards in office buildings in midtown Manhattan.
· Mediation of a dispute relating to insurance coverage for damages to waterfront property in lower Manhattan arising from Superstorm Sandy.
· Mediation of a dispute concerning compensation sought by a placement agent relating to a $100 million investment in a US real estate fund by Middle East entities.
· Mediation of a dispute relating to the repair and maintenance of elevator operations in multiple first class office buildings in Manhattan and Westchester County.
· Arbitration of a claim for attorneys fees arising out bankruptcy proceeding.
· Arbitration of claims for compensation by a public relations firm for services to a prominent fashion designer.
· Mediation as an advocate of a multimillion dollar dispute arising from the allegedly wrongful escheatment of securities in a major pharmaceutical company.